Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Inspiration

I have learned so much over my life with horses. ( I started riding at 3 and owned my first horse at 10) It has been 30 years of learning, and yet on so many levels I feel like my journey has just begun.
 My ever changing path of learning has lead me to where I am today. And while there are parts of my journey I am not proud of I couldn't be where I am if I hadn't done certain things. I feel you can take something from almost every trainer out there. It could even be that you learn what you do not want to do. If you would have asked me 4 years ago where I got my inspiration from I would and could have made you a list of horse trainers. I wanted the relationship with my horses to look like the relationship they had with horses. Then one day I realized my inspiration shouldn't come from other trainers, but from my horses. If I wanted that relationship I had to work to get it. I had to be inspired by the true teachers, the horses. It was then that I really started to listen to the horses and learn. I am still learning with every new day and new session. 

So how have they inspired me?

Pixie: She of course inspires me to slow down and really listen. She inspired me to look beyond my comfort zone and become a better trainer. She has shown me that if you give up trying to control and instead work with them that it all falls into place. Plain and simple this mare has made me who I am.

Jess: He inspired me to change not because I had to with him, but because he showed me what "shut down" looked liked. He inspires me everyday to try and help others so others horses don't end up mentally shut down. Since living with us he has learned he has an opinion and it counts.

Willow: She inspired me to slow down and breath. This mare is anxious and wants to go go go, but if you take the time to listen and show her she doesn't have to she is a dream to work with. She like Jess was mentally shut down and would listen if the pain was great enough to outweigh her own fear. She worked well in a shank bit, but wouldn't listen to anything less. To now see her work without a bit is an inspiration everyday. She no longer has to choice between fear and pain.

Navi: This little mare has inspired me to become softer. She has an opinion and she will make it known. She also has shown me that her heart is there and she will give her all if I do. Navi inspires me to keep doing what I am doing because she came to me a clean slate and it is rewarding to me to see her learn and be happy all at the same time. Through all my trial and errors with her she inspired me to keep going and now we are unstoppable.

Char: She inspires me to help show the world that throw away horses are worth something. At this point I don't plan on ever riding her again, but that doesn't mean she is worthless. She inspires me to never give up. She had no reason to ever trust us, but over time she has come to enjoy our company as much as we enjoy hers.

I do hope that through my actions I can inspire at least one person to try a different path and find inspiration from their horse instead of a trainer.

 How have your horses inspired you?

No comments:

Post a Comment