Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Pixie was a Rockstar

Yesterday we had the chance to hit the trails with a couple of ladies from the barn. It was our first outing across the street this season. I am loving this warm January weather, but then again what horse person isn't?

I have to give Pixie credit for how well she did considering it was our first ride out in a long time and the fact that one of the other horses became very anxious and and wanted to run home. At one point we were stopped waiting while the other horse was circling. He was very amped up at this point. Mentally checked out to the point where he ran into Pixie and I. All was okay in the end, thank goodness, as I always worry about someone getting hurt when horses get that scared on the trail. At first Pixie started to feed off his anxiety, but with a deep breath from me she came back to me. After that I would click and treat while we stood still. She did an amazing job of staying focused on me and not getting worried. It was a lot for her to handle, but thankfully our training paid off. My deep breath to cue whoa worked, it served its purpose to stop her without rein pressure and to communicate relaxation. Good Pixie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment