Sunday, February 1, 2015

Be the Change

I have discovered over this past year that many people still use punitive training methods because they don't know any different. 95% of the information out there on horse training is based on a punitive method.

Almost every trainer that comes to my barn uses Positive punishment and Negative reinforcement. I have hope that most people would change their ways if given the knowledge of how. I say most because I know that some would not. Both Positive Punishment and Negative Reinforcement are highly effective ways to train break a horse. Simply put the methods work and work pretty darn fast so I can't expect that everyone would give them up.We, as humans, have too many control issues.

It is my dream that someday more horse friendly methods will be the norm, but the only way that can happen is for people that use more positive methods to step up and be willing to help others. Not for money, but for the horse.  I love being given the opportunity to explain how and why I do what I do. I love for people to question me, not because I want to brag, but because I hope they will want to change their relationship with their horse. I am the first to admit I don't know it all, far from, I learn every day. But I am always looking for a way to better myself. I am more than willing to point out my mistakes and where I went wrong with my horses if it can help keep someone else from making the same mistake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment