Thursday, February 5, 2015

Questions

Some questions I try to make sure I think about when I work with my horses and questions I want answers to when I see others work with their horses. (Not to judge, but to see how the horse is feeling about the situation)


  • How much of a threat is behind the cue/command?
  • How much pain is the horse receiving from the equipment?
  • If the equipment was gone would the horse still be there?
  • Do they really have a choice to leave the situation?
  • What happens if they choose to leave?
  • Is there a threat of punishment if they go?
  • What happens in a scary situation? If the equipment wasn't there to control them would they be gone?
  • Are they showing little/big signs of stress? Tail swishing, flared nose, big eyes, etc...
  • How can we make the situation better for them?
  • How little can we do to ask something of them?
  • Can we do it without threats?
  • What is really motivating them? Fear or curiosity? 
  • Are they connected with you? 

How do you find out these answers? Well with my own horses I watch them, but with others I study the horse. I love watching horse training videos, but I do it with the sound off. Why?Because I can completely focus on what the horses body language is telling me without hearing the trainers description of it. Sometimes the words take away from what is really going on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment