Thursday, October 31, 2013

Berry Fine Chardonnay May 15,2013 - Oct. 30, 2013

My heart is breaking as I write this because yesterday we let little baby Berry go. She could no longer fight the fight. We tried everything we could think of, but it seemed nothing was going to work as she got older. Tuesday we did surgery to try and open her up a bit more so hopefully she could pass firmer stool on her own. However, I arrived at the barn yesterday morning to find that she was still unable to poop. That was it, it was our last chance. We all knew what had to be done. I called the vet and let my trainer know. Around 9am my partner got to the barn. We stood and cried with Berry in her stall. Loved on her and hugged her while she quietly munched on hay. Then her and Momma where turned out together in the outdoor arena and left alone for a while. At 11am when the vet was close, we took Char and Baby Berry to the upper pasture and let them eat hay while waiting for the vet. When the vet arrived my partner and I held her and talked to her while the vet injected her. it was only a few seconds later that she was gone. We laid her down on the ground next to where Momma was so she could say her goodbyes. Momma smelled her and nickered to her quietly. It was heartbreaking. We let Char stay in the pasture with her for a few minutes to try and understand that her baby was gone. Then we took Char inside to stay in a stall across from Jess to try and let her calm done. We all stood there in tears talking to Char.

Now we must focus on Char we want to as stress-free as possible move her in with the others, so for now we are just letting her and Jess bond. As my other mares can be a bit over whelming to a super passive horse, not mean, just in the face all the time.

I have let a lot of animals go in my life time, none as young as Baby Berry. I find it to be very difficult to comprehend. I knew it was coming and that it was a possibility from the day she arrived, but for the last 4 weeks we have poured our hearts and souls into trying to find a way to make it work to have her live. I have only known her for a short time, yet it hurts just as much as when I have lost an animal after owning them for their entire life. I am glad she is free of pain now, and I will forever have the memories of kissing her little nose as she smelled my face. That little foal made a bigger impact on our lives then she will ever know. Rest in Peace Baby Berry, I love you and will miss you forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment