Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Preparing for Goodbye

4 Weeks and 3 days ago a little baby and her momma came into our life when we least expected it. You guys know the story as I have been writing about them. The day they arrived I had no idea that they were coming, and little did I know how much the two of them would impact us. Baby Berry (as I always call her now) came to us untouched. It was the first chance we have had to work with a baby as young as her. She is now halter broke and loves attention!

 It is with tears in my eyes that I write this post because today we are preparing to say goodbye to Baby Berry. She is having more and more problems passing stool and is now plugging up daily. It is no longer fair to her to make her keep fighting. We are going to possibly attempt an emergency surgery today to make her opening bigger, but I am not sure she will be able to make it then. Her little soul has brought us so much joy, that we will do what is best for her even if that means letting her go. Everything happens for a reason so maybe we were only meant to have Baby Berry in our lives for a short time.

I do not know what today will bring. It may be extreme heartache. I do know that even if my time with Baby Berry was short, that little foal made me a better person and taught me so much about horses.  

Baby Berry making sure nothing was left in the bowl 10-2013

Baby Berry and Me.

2 comments:

  1. Im so sorry. Letting go of a little one is so much harder than an adult who has lived their life. When we had to make that choice with Magick, it devastated me. All you can really do is remember that she is no longer in pain and comfort the mom. I have my fingers crossed that the surgery will help, but if it doesn't, my thoughts are with you all. Berry can play with our Magick in that place where horse spirits go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Aimee. I find it to extremely hard, but She is there with Magick now, playing and having fun like normal babies do.

    ReplyDelete