Thursday, February 21, 2013

Finally getting a routine

It has been one week since we moved the horses to the new barn. We are finally settled in...I think :)

We went and picked up approximately one ton of alfalfa yesterday so now we have all of our hay for a few months.  I now know my horse trailer can hold 34 bales of hay. And in reality with two people and a wheelbarrow it doesn't take all that long to unload 34 bales of hay :) Our last two slow feeders are being built so hopefully we will have them in place by next week.  Then my ponies will get their grass hay out of the slow feeders and a flake of alfalfa in their feed tires.

It is an odd sense of relief to be doing self care boarding instead of full care boarding. While its not for everyone I have found I am loving it. It helps the barn is just a ten minute drive from the house :) I have found its nice to have control over how much and what the horses are eating. I have always trusted my past BO so that isn't what I am saying, I am just enjoying having my own freedom to feed more or less without it impacting someone else.

This barn is located in a less populated area and I am loving that! Everyday I get to hear all kinds of birds including eagles. We also see deer, turkeys, and other wild life all the time. I still miss my other barn "family" but everyone at the new barn seems really nice and I look forward to getting to know them. The best part is they are all students of my trainer so everyone is on the same page...that means lots of people to seek advice from if a problem arises. The other day there were four of us riding in the indoor arena and not one of us had a bridle on, just halters,  and three of us were riding bareback too :)

Today is going to be my first lesson with Navi. I am excited for it and will write all about it later, but for now I am off to feed the horses :)




2 comments:

  1. That was the best thing when I moved to a new barn, was that the entire horse intelligence level seemed to rise! Everyone was concerned about their own horses and their own riding ability, not other peoples business! (of course they ask you how your doing and about your horses, but they aren't nosy and talk about you behind your back!) So its cool that you have people around you can trust to ask their opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes such a big difference to enjoy the people at the barn! I have always been lucky in that I have always had great people at both barns :)

      Delete