Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Tomorrow is the day

Tomorrow is Char's scheduled farrier visit. She has done a good job at breaking off her own hooves, but they still need work. We have been consistent with getting her front feet picked out. She still struggles with holding up her back feet for any duration of time.  So I don't expect my farrier to be able to trim her back feet, but I think her fronts will go okay. We will see, as this will be the first time someone other than us try to handle her feet.

Char is also coming along nicely in other areas too. She is learning head down and stand facing forward. (Of course at separate times) With every session I see her confidence growing.

I want to touch base on Navi too :) She is really showing improvement! Yesterday I went to go pick her feet and for the first time ever she picked up her back leg for me before I even bent down. I thought for a split second she was going to kick me, but then I realized she was just picking up her foot for me. It wasn't something I expected with her because she has always been heavy with her feet. She will pick them up when asked, but would lean. Well since I have been doing 100% clicker training with her she is becoming a willing partner in everything. I wish I would have stuck to my gut feeling before and never moved away from positive reward training as much as I did with her. Oh well...live and learn right?! Lucky for me it's not too late to start over. Never again will I be swayed by others and think that any amount of force is okay no matter how little it is. Navi never feared me, but it shut her down mentally. She felt forced and hated every minute.  Now we both love our time together :)

No comments:

Post a Comment