Thursday, June 19, 2014

Four Amazing Years!

June 24th will mark my four year anniversary with Pixie. That was the day we signed the adoption papers. Of course I had visited her and ridden a few times before that day. She wasn't delivered to me until July 10th, but we went and visited her before she came home. These are some pictures from the times we visited before she came home.












I was so excited to have a horse again! Every week I looked forward to our visits and on July 10th when she was dropped off I could hardly contain my excitement.

These last four years have been amazing. We had some major hiccups in the beginning, but she has forgiven my mistakes. When I first met Pixie I was told she was a special horse that needed someone to bond with. And that has proven to be true. We worked long and hard, and she finally started to trust me and bond. Pixie doesn't give trust easily, so I had to prove to her I was worth it. What I learned along the way was I had to trust her too! I couldn't expect her to trust me if I couldn't trust her.
Every year I set goals. Our first year was to trail ride one day. We did that. Year two and three were cantering and liberty work. Year four I had one goal and that was to continue to build an unbreakable bond. Over that past four years Pixie has grown, but more than that I have grown by leaps and bounds. I no longer focus on what I want to accomplish technically, now I focus on growing our relationship. When I started focusing on our relationship everything else fell into place. We are accomplishing things that were in my wildest dreams such as riding bareback and bridle-less. In fact I should call it halter-less because Pixie doesn't wear a bridle any more. We explore the back country in just a halter and lead rope. Now each week we usually enjoy four days of playing/riding. Each session with her is fun and positive. We learn new things together each time.
Here is to many more fun filled years together!! Pixie you are my world!
Lasts night visit with her :)

No comments:

Post a Comment