Friday, March 7, 2014

And We Ride....

In November of 2012 I started this blog to document my journey with my horses, but it was getting my baby, Navi, at the auction that inspired me to blog. I wanted to document my journey with her throughout our training. She is my first yearling, and start to finish project. I have always said I was in no hurry to ride her and would get her going under saddle when the time felt right. Well that time is now. She is finally big enough and is becoming mature enough to handle the stress of learning. So two days ago I sat on her for the first time and then yesterday we rode around for a little bit. I was more of a passenger than anything, but we did try a tiny bit of steering and moving off my leg. She took everything in stride. I decided to ride bareback so I could bail if things went bad and work her on the ground. But it never even came close to that, she got the concept of getting treats and that was her focus. She could care less what I was doing as long as in the end I gave her a pat on the neck followed by a treat :) I had hoped the first few rides would go this well as we have spend the last year preparing for it, but you just never know. We will see what future rides bring, but besides some testing from her cause she likes to test every boundary I feel that she will do fine. She has a great mind and her confidence is strong. So here is to moving on to the next stage of our training!

Crappy picture taken with my phone, but at least we have one picture of our 2nd ride :)

2 comments:

  1. I am really looking forward to following your progress with Navi! She is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete