Tuesday, January 1, 2013

An End to 2012

2012 came to a close yesterday, and I was glad that I could spend my evening at the barn after work.  My partner and I were finally able to go out to the barn together for the first time in a week! So I wanted to bring all the horses in at once. I have decided its hard to take on 4 horses by yourself, lol, so I am usually only working with Pixie and Navi. We got all the horses brushed before we turned them all loose in the indoor arena. Of course Pixe, Willow, and Jess all promptly rolled in the sandy dirt enjoying every minute being able to roll with no blankets on. Navi just hung out with us, lol. She is quite the people horse. After rolling, Jess decided to buck, kick and run around! I love seeing him play, its not very often he kicks up his heels. Of course Pixie and Willow then joined in on the fun, running around kicking. Navi meanwhile was pretty sure they were going to take her out and she stayed in the middle with us for a while. Then I sent her out and she finally ran with them, but kept her distance as not to get kicked. They had fun!

After letting them get some play time I wanted to try and pony Navi off of Jess. We took Willow and Pixie out of the arena, much to their dismay, and tied them in the barn alley.  This would be Navi's first time being ponied, so I felt more comfortable on Jess. I love that horse, he hasn't been ridden in a long time (being he is retired) but he was still perfect while we took two laps around the indoor, bareback in a halter and lead rope, hauling around Navi. She did well once she got the idea to keep up and walk with us, so she wasn't being pulled around. My arm was thankful she figured it out too. The problem with ponying bareback is there is no horn to wrap the lead rope around to make the horse do the pulling.

Today starts 2013 which means it time for me to make a list of goals I want to accomplish with the horses this year! Beyond reaching milestones for the horses I want to improve myself too! I hope to become a better horse trainer and rider so I can continue to build a strong relationship with each one of our horses. I feel very blessed every day to have four amazing horses!

 Here is to a great 2013, wishing everyone a wonderful New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment