Thursday, January 3, 2013

A job to do...uhm "No Thanks" says Pixie

Yesterday the plan was to spend the afternoon with the horses and I wanted to pony Navi again.

 We had tried to pony Navi using Willow on New Years day, needless to say that didn't work out. Willow still has a strong dislike for Navi and it came out loud and clear while ponying. Navi didn't want to stay up next to Willow instead she insisted on dragging behind which meant she was in the kick zone. We didn't even get half way around the arena before Willow kicked at Navi. Okay, since Willow wouldn't pony Navi we would stick to Jess and Pixie. But at least that day a friend was there riding too and she offered to pony Navi off her horse who is a pro at ponying. With someone pushing Navi forward we managed to get it done :) A big thanks to "Wasp" and her owner!

Moving on to yesterday...We got Pixie, Navi, and Willow up to the barn. We got them groomed and ready to ride. I tied Navi up in the arena while I warmed Pixie up. Pixie was doing really well, so I figured ponying Navi would be no issue. I have ponied both Jess and Willow off of Pixie before, so this isn't a new concept to her. However, having a baby that has no desire to keep up with her is a new concept, and she wasn't having it. Even with my BO behind us on her horse it wasn't going well. Navi was straining to stay way far back and Pixie stopped listening to me. Pixie was more concerned with what Navi was doing. After a few tries I ended up having to drop Navi's rope as I could see a blow up with Pixie coming and I didn't want it to end badly. Well then my BO stepped in and she caught Navi and ponied her off of her gelding, Mr Ian. He is an amazing boy, since this was his first time back to riding after a injury over a year ago. As soon as he had the job of ponying he was all work. He was a champ! We tagged teamed Navi. My partner rode behind Navi pushing her up if she started to lagged to far behind. Pretty soon Navi was getting the hang of it. Then Pixie and I took over as the "pushers" our job was just to follow and tap Navi if she really starting slowing down. It wasn't but five minutes in and Pixie was way bored with this job too. She wanted to pass Mr. Ian or slow down and leave. It was then that I am glad I never have to work a ranch job with Pixie, cause having a job is not her thing! Good thing we ride for fun :) Navi got a lot of walking in by the time we were done. A big thanks to "Mr. Ian" and his owner!  I am sure Navi is thinking to herself that we can stop finding theses experienced horses to make her work, lol.

Navi got tied back up and Pixie and I went back to working on stuff. She was much happier when we got back to the normal routine. She decided even side passing wasn't that bad compared to pulling Navi around. When my partner took a break we practiced ponying Willow around the arena. Its amazing Pixie can steer one-handed and listen :) When my partner came back we decided to give it a go again ponying Navi. This time Willow took a break and got tied up, so my partner could walk and ush Navi if needed. She handed me Navi and we were off. It was great Navi stayed right up with us and Pixie listened. We went half the length of the arena and called it done! I was super happy it ended on a great note for both my girls! Even though it ended well it was decided that as long as Jess is sound enough for light riding we will be using him to pony off of. He is a champ and will put up with anything and won't get mad at Navi. So until she learns how to pony extremely well he will be the one we use. Looks like Jess has to give up his retirement life for at least a little while.
Navi and Pixie getting ready to go to "work"

     
Willow "Parking" on her own before the ride


 While it was frustrating at times yesterday that Pixie wouldn't listen and we failed while trying to pony Navi. These are also the reasons while I love Pixie so much. She isn't perfect, but she is opinionated! She makes me a better horse person because it isn't always easy with her.  I know now that I have work to do in that area. And it was too much to ask of her to pull around a baby that she is alpha over in the herd. We will get there one day, but until then it is my job to teach Navi how to pony better so Pixie can tolerate her walking next to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment