Friday, April 10, 2015

Taking a Walk

Yesterday was the perfect spring day, 60 degrees, sunny and no wind! I decided to take Navi for a walk. I have to get her out to new places more since I do want her to become my trail horse. So we headed out to explore the river and bridges. She was a tiny bit nervous when we first headed out, but there where no spooks, and she quickly calmed down. She has been to the area before, but it was well over 6 months ago. As we approached the first bridge she looked at it and I clicked her for it and off we went across. We stopped along the walk to graze, which she loved of course. We crossed the next bridge without any hesitation. She was as cool as a cucumber :) We grazed  more before doing some mounting block work at a rock. She lined right up! What a good girl!

Navi doesn't seem to have any issues going out alone since that is the only thing we have done. All the walks around have just been her and I, which seems to be paying off. She should be a great little trail horse that can ride out alone without issue :)

 Besides going for a walk we did some saddle work. She hasn't worn the saddle in a long long time...maybe close to a year?? So we went into the round pen in case she didn't like it. I tacked her up while clicking and treating and then sent her away to move around. She moved out like it was old news. We did walk, trot, canter, and went over a small pole. Never once was bothered by the saddle! Although true to Navi fashion she tried to taste my stirrups. Everything still has to go in her mouth.

Oh and I almost forgot Navi turns 4 this month! How time has flown since she came home in 2012 and was just a little yearling.

Willow and I had another ride yesterday. She did really well. We are still working on her confidence, but every ride gets better and better :)

Navi taking a break and trying to eat my lead rope



No comments:

Post a Comment