Sunday, April 20, 2014

End of Vacation

I have enjoyed my six days off of work! I have had four good days with the horses and plan on spending the day out there today.  My partner and I have had a few great trail rides on Pixie and Willow. Now that the girls have been out a few times they are starting to get into the grove. Even crossing the big bridge isn't too big of a deal now :)
Stillwater River...we stopped in the middle of the bridge for this photo. Pixie wasn't thrilled, lol.

The bridge its self. I will admit I am scared of heights so it's not easy for me to cross either. 

Jess and I got to enjoy a nice ride out alone yesterday. Of course we didn't venture far as I don't like riding out alone. To risky especially since I don't have cell reception most places on the ranch. But he was a good boy and we got to school on not rushing home. That is his biggest problem.

Navi and I have had some good lessons this past week. I have sat on her a couple of times, but she is starting to brace, so we are doing some more ground work to address that issue. Yesterday she was listening while on the ground, but got super distracted once I mounted so instead of fighting with her we went back to the ground. She is one tough cookie, but I love her and I think once she is trained she will be an amazing trail horse because NOTHING scares her. Maybe that is just because she is young and dumb right now, lol.
Navi napping in the afternoon sun after our training session. 

Char has also made some strides in her training. Yesterday we had the best round pen session to date. She was able to listen and not panic. She is so sensitive! I just use my hands and body to direct her. A level four of pressure to her is most horses level 1. She will melt down if you get too big with her, and it took us two round pen sessions for her to calm down. We just stood there and then in the end gave her treats to make sure she understood it wasn't a bad place. But yesterday was different than before. She was able to move out at a slower trot with one ear on me, she stopped 90% on cue and would turn in. We were able to change direction and not peel out of there at warp speed! I saw a breakthrough I hadn't seen yet, and I hope it is still there this morning. I look at this horse and see what Pixie and I used to be. Lets be truthful, Pixie and I were a HOT mess! And I see us in my relationship with Char. I hope we can overcome the obstacles in our way and become an amazing team too.

No comments:

Post a Comment