Thursday, March 7, 2013

Slow feeders

I have been sick this past week so that has meant my ponies have had a lot of time off :( I have checked on them at feeding time, but otherwise I haven't done much with them.

 Last Thursday we pushed back our lesson so we could move the horses into a new paddock. They are now set up with their three slow-feeder boxes :) It has worked well having the slow feeders. They are getting supplemented with a couple flakes of alfalfa once a day, but otherwise have 24hr access to straight grass hay out of their boxes. It has been working really well! They are no longer camped in front of the feeders. They graze for a while and then walk away :) We were worried Jess (the old guy) wouldn't ever leave the feeder, but that hasn't been the case he has figured it out. I haven't seen any significant weight gain with him (he is kinda chubby already ), so we have been happy.




Hoping to get my lesson with Pixie in today!

No comments:

Post a Comment