Thursday, March 14, 2013

Spring time!

Spring has arrived in our neck of the woods :) We were super lucky and our days off this week happened to be the nicest weather days of the week. Usually the really nice days happen on the weekends when I am stuck at work all day :( I am looking forward to heading out to spend the day with the horses as its supposed to be almost 70 today!!

Yesterday was a bit windy, but very warm so my partner and I enjoyed the day riding the horses outside. We decided to see how Jess would do on a short ride around the barn. He did great...no signs of lameness in his feet or shoulder. We will continue to ride him going forward as long as he stays sound with with no signs of pain. I rode Willow while my partner rode Jess. It was fun...I love riding Willow. She is a super fun cool horse! Its funny, of course I own her technically, but I don't ride her a bunch because I find that riding Pixie and training Navi takes up most of my time. And since she is my partners riding horse she gets plenty of work and training with her.  After Jess was turned back out I gave Willow back to my partner to ride and I rode Pixie. The girls did well considering the wind was howling at almost 50mph. We decided to use the wind as a training aid,  we rode in and around the pine trees. They were a bit anxious, but listening. We stayed out in the wind because it was a good time to practice for if we were ever out trail riding when a storm/wind blew in. I want to know they can stay calm.

After riding we got Navi out to play for a bit. She wasn't feeling very energetic so we did basic ground work. Working with ropes around legs, belly, etc.. She did very well. She is getting better and better! While we worked with Navi my trainer was also working with her horses. Its always a treat to watch her work with her horses! The connection they have is amazing. They play and have fun, but are listening and respectful at the same time!

In other news I am hoping to audit a clinic this July. I can't afford to be in the clinic, but would love to watch. The clinician is  Aimee Brimhall. She is my trainers mentor so I am hoping to catch at least a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment