Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Ticks

There are some insects/bugs that make me go out of my mind with fright. Spiders are one such bug. I can clear a room in 1 sec flat if I see a spider! However, luckily for me ticks are not one bug that scares me. For some reason they don't bother me. Maybe it because as a small child spending my summers in Arkansas they were everywhere and after a while you either didn't go outside or you got used to them. My partner on the other hand isn't bothered by bugs at all, that is with one exception. And that one exception would be ticks. So I can imagine her response yesterday when she found a tick on Navi.

I called her after work to say I was coming to the barn when she informed me Navi had ticks. While they don't bother me, I still don't want them on Navi. So I stopped at the feed store to pick up something to kill them. Needless to say there isn't much option in December in Montana. I did manage to find some stuff. When I arrived at the barn I was informed there was still another on in her mane. My partner does not like to touch them, so she left it for me, lol. However that meant I had to find it! Luckily for me her mane is white and she is still short enough I can see over top of her. After a few minutes I spotted the little bugger, it wasn't attached yet. I then proceeded to spray her everywhere with fly and tick spray. After doing some good old research on google, I think they may be Winter ticks. Could be wrong...they could be just Deer ticks. I don't really know, but I don't think she is infested. From reading up they lay eggs on the ground not on the host like fleas. The baby ones otherwise known as seed ticks (to me anyways) will feed on a host,but you can still see them luckily.  Regardless this week will be devoted to treating her and making sure we get them all. 


No comments:

Post a Comment