Saturday, December 8, 2012

Farrier Day and Tarp introduction

Today was farrier day at the barn. We have been working with Navi for the past two weeks getting her ready for this. Her feet were super long and we had to make sure it was done today as my farrier lives 2 hours a way and only comes up every 7 weeks. I am super proud to report she was great! She stood like a champ only trying to pull her back foot away once, and really she barely tried pulling it away. I hope all future farrier visits go this well!

After the farrier trim we put her in the arena to run around a bit. She got the all okay from the vet and she seems to be over her cold so now she can be turned loose to run :) It took her some time to realize she wasn't attached to me. She just followed me around at first, until I sent her away, then she finally kicked up her heels and ran around for the first time since coming home. It was great seeing her feel good enough to run.

I decided today would be a good day to start introducing her to strange objects, so we busted out the tarp. I put it down and walked her to it...and yep, she was like most babies and wanted to eat it! Within ten minutes we had it on her and walking her around.  She is proving to be a very confident horse. With any luck that will prove to be a great thing as we move into making her a trail horse.

I have to start remembering my camera when I go to the barn. My cell phone pictures are just not very good! But regardless I wanted to capture our first time with the tarp.
Yes, she does get brushed I promise!




No comments:

Post a Comment