Friday, November 27, 2020

Meeting Charm...

 I think the conversation started something like this between Sarah and I:

      Me:" Hey this horse has canker in all 4 feet, do you want to foster him?" Her: "What?! How is he standing, and what did you just sign us up for?" Me: "I don't know?"

Flash forward 1 month later, I found myself staying at the public auction yard with a sort of skinny draft mix horse that needed electrolytes as he had just arrived from MN. Easy peasy! Well we both wore a little of it and he got most of it, but that was as good as it was getting. I said good night and walked away wearing his green alfalfa slobber in my hair and all over my shirt. Overall, he was a pretty chill dude that most definitely had canker in all 4 feet. I knew as I walked back to the car from his paddock that our adventure was just getting starting. 

My farrier had already laid out a plan for us because I knew next to nothing about canker. What I did know was that it is hard to treat and most people are only trying to treat it in 1 foot at a time. Why not try to tackle all 4 feet, right? Just treat each hoof daily, sounded easy enough. 

The next week Charm arrived at my barn. I gave him a few days to settle in and then went to see how he was with this feet. Started with the front, safer that way. I didn't know if he was a kicker. Personally, I don't like to get kicked, it hurts. So off to work we went, I leaned over and said "foot" he stomped and then swoosh he tried to kick me with his back foot. Yes, he kicked forward with his giant back leg. Ok, well that was a first for me. Clearly this wasn't going to go quite as well as I had planned. Let's try the other front foot. Lots of stomping with it is what we got. No trying to kick my head off though on that side, so there was that. Well we left it at that for the day, no way I was winning that battle. Put a call in to my amazing farrier told him that we might have a slight problem because it appears Charm doesn't like his feet handled. He said ok we will figure it out.  

With that our adventure with Charm and trying to treat his canker in all 4 feet officially started...

No comments:

Post a Comment