Sunday, March 18, 2018

Riley,Thyroid issues, and switching vets.

People close to me know our quest to find a small animal vet for our dogs has been a bit of a challenge recently. Years ago we left our long time vet because she told us the rash our cat had was probably fleas. Uhm, no I knew it wasn't, and in the end it was not. Then there was Devan's EPI battle. When I had to defend my feeding of raw when that vet wanted me to feed a diet primarily made up of potatoes we never went back.

Ranting (fair warning): Riley (My Pitbull) had his thyroid levels checked yesterday. He has lost more weight recently so my guess was he was a little over treated and his thyroid numbers were high. Well we arrive and weighed him...he has lost weight. Something I knew already, but then the tech was sure he had lost over 10lbs cause apparently they have his last weight at 58lbs. He weighed in at 48 yesterday. I told them their weight last June had to be off cause when he was in his prime he was about 60lbs, so last June he probably weighed closer to 54 lbs like the weight last May said. Not to mention he didn't gain 4lbs last May to June so their scale was clearly off. The Vet tech and I proceed to "talk" about it in the lobby. She didn't believe me and I was irritated, so I politely ended the conversation.

Flash forward to my conversation with the Vet on the phone: Riley's blood work comes back perfect, except his thyroid levels are a little high (oh really- shocking) She decides to lower his med dose by 1mg.
Then the vet proceeds to ask me what kind of food I feed him cause he has lost a lot of weight. I didn't even bring up the fact that their scale was wrong...whatever, lol. I told her how much and what he eats. He eats just about 2 1/2+ cups dry and a cup give or take of the homemade food a day. Her response: Well add in another 1/2 cup a day.

Fine I will do, but here are my thoughts on this...
1. My dog hasn't lived to almost 13 with a perfect blood panel because I starve him.

2. If his thyroid is overactive he could still lose weight even if I up his food. As has been the case recently. (For a dog his size and activity level this amount of good quality food should be more than enough) In his prime he weighed around 60-65lbs and only ate 2 to 2 1/2 cups dry food.

3. She should have asked me more questions about the protein and fat levels of his food. I told her the protein level, but she didn't remark to it.

I am going to add in some digestive plant enzymes with pre and probiotics (not because the vet suggested it, which she should have in my opinion). I am hoping with the lower does of thyroid pills and the added enzymes he should put the weight back on. Maybe not though as he is old and trying to get old dogs to gain weight can be a challenge.

Why is it so hard to find a Vet that doesn't treat us like we don't know what we are doing. (Disclaimer: I am already using a different vet for my other dogs, but it was easiest to keep Ri here for his thyroid pills. I stopped using this vet when they turned Peanut away when her spay incision split open.) I understand not every dog owner is super knowledgeable, but a vet should get to know their clients.

Well add this vet to the list of vets I won't use because they assume I am an idiot. I am sorry, but I want the best care for my animals and that means you don't assume we are idiots.

I am too the point now that I am thinking most of my dogs routine care will be taken care of by my horse vets. Stillwater clinic in Absarokee also does small animals and doesn't charge the large town fees like the clinics in Billings. And I love Dr. Olson. She has been great to us and all of our horses! If driving 45 minutes to the vet for routine care is what it takes then so be it. I trust her! Dr. Stacy (my other horse vet) already does my dogs vaccinations and has been great to us in answering questions when we have them. In Emergencies I will use Best Friends here in town, they did a good job for Peanut and pulled her through Parvo.

Ok, rant over :)

2 comments:

  1. Well said! Didn't sound like a rant to me...your pets are your children and when you're pationate about something like your children, you become knowledgeable about anything to do with them. I have had many MD's treat me like an idiot when it came to my kids...it's beyond frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant passionate not pationate! Lol. Not enough coffee yet I guess!

    ReplyDelete