Saturday, September 20, 2014

Remembering Baby Berry and 1 Year with Char

In just a few days it will have been 1 year since Char and Baby Berry stepped off that trailer at my barn. I cannot believe how fast time goes by. I had no idea what was in store for either one of them or myself at that point. How could I have ever guessed that I would have been taking on such a huge task with Baby Berry and Char for that matter. Sometimes life changes that fast! I had no plans of ever owning a 5th horse. We each had 2 and that was plenty, but we couldn't not help these two horses.

Baby Berry was only in our lives for a short time, but boy did she make an impact! The day we let her go will forever be one of the hardest days of my life. She was a great little filly with a big big heart! She fought hard to make it, but in the end she wasn't meant to be on this earth for a long time .I believe everything happens for a reason even if we don't know why at the time.  I truly believe she was brought to us to make sure Char had a happy ending.

I still don't know what exactly we will end up doing with Char. And by that I mean I don't know if we will ever ride her or if she will just be. She came to us as a basically untouched 17yr old broodmare. Now she knows almost all the basics and of course I have ridden her, but this summer I just let her be. We hung out and groomed, but that was it really. Other than feet work we didn't require much of her, and she seemed to enjoy it. She greets us in the pasture and loves attention! I am going to let her tell me what she is comfortable doing. If the day comes that we ride then so be it, but if not she will spend the rest of her time just hanging out with us.
I cherish this photo of Baby Berry and I

One of the many days I hung out in their pasture gaining trust.


Char this summer. She will live her life out on this ranch.

No comments:

Post a Comment