Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer is in full swing

I can't believe summer is almost half over! The days are already getting shorter, but it took me until yesterday to realize that. It wasn't until I was driving to the barn at 5:15 that I noticed it wasn't getting as light :( Oh well, the good side of summer going fast is that means the heat goes away with it! I am NOT a heat person and I do way less in the summer than in winter. However I do love my mornings and summer allows me to ride early in the morning :)

Speaking of morning rides, last week we were able to cross over to the the island on the Yellowstone river. Our side of the river is getting low. In fact it will be gone before we know it and the island will only have one side with river. But none the less its still here for now and its about three feet deep all the way across. None of my horses have crossed that deep and wide of water before that I know of so we set out not knowing what to expect. Pixie hesitated for minute but then went forward. Willow didn't even pause for a second. The were both such good girls walking straight across...thank goodness since I was halfway across when I realized I had my phone in my pocket. It's a new smartphone and I was just hoping we got across the river without going in, lol, I didn't want to ruin my phone.

Looking over at the island before we crossed.

We made it :) Such a pretty ride minus the mosquitoes
I am hoping to get a early morning ride in tomorrow. This morning I have an appointment, so riding will have to wait until evening.

Update on Navi. Her knees are finally closing and she is doing great. We have gone back to ground work and she picked up right were she left off. I might put her under saddle this winter if she is big enough or it will be next spring. No rush really, I want to have her sound for years to come and I don't want to push her to hard as a baby. So for now she has the easy life still :)

Hopefully I will update a bit more often now that the babies (puppies) are getting a bit older and can entertain themselves a bit more now. They will be 9 weeks tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment