Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Aimee Brimhall Clinic Day 2

Yesterday was a continuation of ground work from the day before. We got into some more technical  things. We covered the friendly, driving, porcupine, and circle games. We learned some new ways to look at these games and some more ways to practice. Body language is such a big thing! We did some simulation work with human partners and when I was the "horse" I realized just how a tiny shift of the "humans" body meant something else to me. Especially in the circle game, one tiny shift of weight sent a signal of go out or come closer. The way your body is angled can make the difference of going straight or in a circle.

Pixie and I had some great breakthroughs. She has always been a little sticky in some areas when circling and backing. But we made some progress because Aimee showed me how to adjust my phases just a tiny bit. Pixie needs quick and light not slow and steady. She needs me to be very clear but in a light and quick way. I was trying so hard to stay at phase one to make her light I was actually making her heavier in areas because she was unsure of what I was asking. I also realized I have given up the porcupine game without knowing it. I had gone on to driving only in an effect to be super light and continue on to liberty work. I now understand where we need to go back and work on the porcupine game and it will only make other things better not diminish my liberty work. 

In an effort to be lighter and quicker...I bought a new stick and string. My original one was the traditional Carrot stick. I love the feel the lighter weight brings to our play sessions. 

I look back to three years ago when Pixie first came home and realized just how far we have come. We have had our share of challenges, but its nice to be in a spot now where we really don't have problems any more just opportunities. There are a few ladies that came to the clinic because they are having problems with their horses. A few worse than others, but none the less they are there to fix something. I am so glad Pixie and I are not here to fix something, but just to grow as partners. Maybe that is where the "we" factor comes into play. I don't see our imperfections as Pixie's fault instead I see them as something we need to work on together to get better at. It may take us a long time to get perfect at something, but we will get there at some point, lol. Three years if you would have asked me to take this clinic I would have jumped at the chance with the mindset yes, finally a chance to fix Pixie's problems. I was still thinking as an "I" then not a "we".

Today starts the two day riding portion. I am excited to learn lots in the riding segment because I know this is my weaker area. I have grown up riding horses, but just not super well behaved ones. I can ride about any thing...never having been thrown off (fallen on a total of three times) Now I was young then and bounced, lol, or should I say they bounced off me well. I am pretty sure if a rearing horse flipped on me now I would crack in a few places. So I would like to learn how to teach so I don't have to go through a rodeo ride :) And with Navi going under saddle in a year, now would be a good time to learn these things :)

That's all for now, more later. Off to pick up dessert for the BBQ tonight after the clinic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment