Sunday, June 23, 2013

Three Years

Tomorrow is mine and Pixie's three year anniversary. It was June 24th on our second visit that we had decided we would like to adopt Pixie. I was so nervous filling out the paperwork. So many thoughts going through my head...would we be approved, was I ready for a horse, was I ready for this horse who was only green broke. It had been ten years since my last horse and I wasn't the one financially responsible for them. It was a huge move getting back into horses! But beyond my doubts I knew this was the right move, I was more than ready. I had missed having horses in my life and something inside was telling me this mare was the one I needed. So we signed the papers and it was official she was adopted to us :) We would visit her one more time the next week before she was delivered to us on July 10th.
Our first ride the week before we decided on her
 The first few months with Pixie proved to be a learning curve. She has to trust her handler and her situation and frankly we didn't have her trust yet. She was not an easy horse, but she quickly grew on me. There were days my confidence was shattered and so was hers. I was ready to give up some days thinking we were never going to meet our goals. Then I decided to stop pushing so hard and came to the realization we will get there when we get there. I stopped getting frustrated at that point and things fell into place. Pixie had to learn to trust in me and that was only going to happen over time.  We have grown together over these last three years.  Three years ago in August when she bolted while I was riding and I had to jump off while she was trotting circles I thought we will never trail ride, but yesterday I took her out bareback with only a halter we rode down by the river and just sat. She grazed and I watched the river. It was peaceful and perfect. When we bought Jess I said it will be nice to have a horse I can just hop on bareback and not worry. I was right...Jess was that horse for a while, but now I have that horse in Pixie.
Interested in the water bottle. During our visits to get to know her
 Are things perfect with Pixie...no. She still has her days where liberty work isn't her thing and we can not for the life of us even get the basic three different walks down in Western Dressage. She still argues with me while riding...by saying no we are going this way and I have to remind her that she doesn't decide. If I leave her in the cross ties by herself she paws and stomps and then stops when I return ( I know I know my fault)

I now know the sky is the limit with Pixie and I. We can do anything as long as I am patient. This horse has taught me more than I could have thought possible in these last three years. 

I like to say Pixie is perfect, but as my partner reminds me Pixie isn't perfect, but she is perfect for me.
Pixie and Angel out to graze on a beautiful afternoon

My heart and soul
Here is to many more years with my imperfect, but perfect horse :)

No comments:

Post a Comment